Friday, February 23, 2007

A busy week...

This week has been crazy busy for me. I've had a ton of projects, essays, and tests to work on. Plus, intermediate algebra is being a real pain the the butt. It's bringing back memories of those days where I needed constant help from Mrs. Goetz and, trust, those are not good memories. But Spring break is coming ... things will get better because, after all, I'll be home a week from this evening.

I'll be working at the pharmacy over spring break. I'm surprised to hear myself say this, but I'm actually som
ewhat excited about going back to the place. Maybe these feelings will dissipate after about 15 minutes of work, but nevertheless, I need to money badly.

My room mate is doing his big 35mm film shoot tonight. I helped light the set last night and I think it is going to turn out well. He was having a little trouble loading the magzine with film, so I hope that the old Russian beast of a camera (that literally makes the sound of an aged KGB helicopter) doesn't eat all of the expensive film. That would stink. Very badly.

I decided that I simply don't have time to come up with a serious project worthy of stamping my name on for the college film festival this year. I was encouraged to submit the Hummingbird video that I did last semester, so I'm going to touch it up a bit and send it in. If anything, it'll get a laugh or two and that will make me very happy. If you haven't seen the Hummingbird video, it can be found here. I'm also going to help shoot and edit a project for some friends. I'm looking forward to it ... should be fun.

This week I watched Inarritu's Babel. It's nominated for best picture this year and is undoubtedly a great film. Essentially, the film shows that in every culture there is some sort of pain: physical, emotional, or spiritual. Hence, it is a very painful film as we watch people suffer in their lives due to lack of communication and become lost both emotionally and physically.

Some have compared it to Paul Haggis' Crash, but the two films are very different even though they share the same kind of narrative structure. Babel is as confusing as Crash with intersections of characters. Although Crash packs a major punch message wise, Babel's tone remains soft and contemplative even in the end.

It would be one of the most depressing films I have ever seen were it not for the amazing last shot that conveys a beautiful message of hope and healing. In my opinion, it's one of the best emotionally powerful shots in movie history and ranks with Andy Defresne's emergence from the sewage pipe in The Shawshank Redemption. It's a beautifully composed image that I hope stays with me for the rest of my life.

No comments: