Sunday, February 18, 2007

Trying to give my best...

Last night, I was sitting at my desk trying to find an inspiration for a short film ... what I've been doing alot, but to no avail, the last few weeks. iTunes was on shuffle and a live rendition of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb came on (a song used excellently in Scorsese's The Departed). I like Pink Floyd when I'm in a certain mood ... when I'm really tired ... so tired that I feel high (not that I know what that feels like).

Last night something hit me though as I was listening to the guitar solo at the end.

I was listening to mindless noise.

Then I thought, sure, it takes talent to play the guitar and other instruments like Syd Barrett and company. It is art on display and the men are very talented. BUT, this is art without substance like so many things out there today.

In our culture, there is a barrage of mindless noise. Every week we get new films out of Hollywood that are devoid of substance and meaning wanting only to entertain an audience and give them cheap thrills (just from this week, Ghost Rider and Norbit come to mind). Take a look at iTunes on new music Tuesday. You'll see a barrage of fluffy music that is devoid of any significance whatsoever. Hords of pop literature is also released every week ... from harlequin silhouette novels to the latest repetitive James Patterson fare. Sure, there is room for fun, but should things made simply for frivolity really so greatly overshadow things that are made for enlightenment?

You really have to look hard sometimes to find worthwhile artistic endeavors in today's culture. Maybe that's why it's taking me such a long time to think of an idea for a short subject film: I've felt convicted lately to not put my talents into things that aren't of value. I so badly DO NOT want to come up with something shoddy and second rate like so many Christians nowadays. I know I'm not all that experienced yet in the whole filmmaking department, but I at least want to try my best. I pray that God gives me the strength to do so because, quite frankly, He deserves nothing less.

Two years ago at Csehy, Dr. White talked about the Luke 12:48 concept of "to whom much is given, much is required." With this message, he passed each of us a piece of paper that had two hymns printed on it. One of them was "Give of Your Best to the Master." I've had the paper in my Bible on the Luke 12:48 page ever since, and just passed by it a few moments ago.
Give of your best to the master,
Give of the strength of your youth;
Throw your soul's fresh, glowing ardour
Into the battle for truth.

Give of your best to the master,
Naught else is worthy His love;
He gave himself for your ransom,
Gave up his glory above.
That's just part of the hymn, but I thought it spoke to what I had written above.

With that, I'm off to bed...

No comments: