Tuesday, July 10, 2007

That mystery trailer...

If you saw Transformers at the theater, odds are you saw the un-named trailer for a film from J.J. Abrams (Lost, Alias) coming to the multiplex on 1-18-08.

If you haven't seen the trailer, you can watch it in HD (or LoD) at Quicktime.

Nerdy sidenote: My dream come true would be for this movie to be the Lost smoke monster run-amuck in some city ... wreaking havoc on people like he does so often in the show. But I'm willing to put that nerdy dream aside (even though the sound of whatever-it-is in the trailer sounds is familiar).

I can't say that I have ever been as intrigued by a trailer as this one, nor has a trailer ever been this shrouded in mystery. My interest is coming from many different directions:

1. J.J. Abrams is involved, which means the film has the possibility of being a very engaging, mythologically rich adventure.

2. The trailer looks like it has been shot with a simple mini-DV camera of some sort (although I'm sure it is just made to look that way), yet there are still special effects; almost as if someone is just standing by recording these events as they take place (a la the first 9/11 videos).

3. This means that, if the movie is anything like the trailer, we could have the possibility of a one-shot wonder on our hands (sort of like Russian Ark or Adrenaline).

I know I'm assuming alot here, but a one-shot wonder disaster film from Abrams' team would be ... wow. I don't have the words for it. I can't wait to see how this project (as of now called Cloverfield) develops.

No comments: