Thursday, June 21, 2007

Tarkovsky Quotes


I'm reading Sculpting in Time by Andrei Tarkovsky at the moment. I read this quote tonight and thought, "Wow ... this man is amazing. This captures exactly how I feel." Take a read:
The beautiful is hidden from the eyes of those who are not searching for the truth, for whom it is contra-indicated. But the profound lack of spirituality of those people who see art and condemn it, the fact that they are neither willing or ready to consider the meaning and aim of their existence in any higher sense, is often masked by the vulgarly simplistic cry, ‘I don’t like it!’ ‘It’s boring!’ It is not a point that one can argue; but it is like the utterance of a man born blind who is being told about a rainbow. He simply remains deaf to the pain undergone by the artist in order to share with others the truth he has reached.
And then, a page later, I read this next quote that sums up how I feel when encountering a great piece of art, whether is be music, film, etc.
Touched by a masterpiece, a person begins to hear in himself that same call of truth which prompted the artist to his creative act. When a link is established between the work and its beholder, the latter experiences a sublime, purging trauma. Within that aura which unites masterpieces and audience, the best sides of our souls are made known, and we long for them to be freed. In those moments we recognize and discover ourselves, the unfathomable depths of our own potential, and the furthest reaches of our emotions.

2 comments:

raymond said...

I need to read me some Tarkovsky...

Its like he has my brain folded out on a table and is translating my thoughts for me...

Phillip said...

Same here. Every word he writes in "Sculpting in Time" is just full of wisdom, brimming from a life of experience that I just can't put it down!