Sunday, June 24, 2007

I've got the Csehy Blues...

Today marks the first last Sunday of June in five years that I haven’t packed up some of my belongings, hopped in the van with Mom and Dad, and headed over to Langhorne, PA for two weeks at Csehy (CHAY-hee) Summer School of Music.

Depressing? Yes.

Csehy Summer School of Music is truly a place like no other. The people there are the nicest, most welcoming people I have ever met and I have made some amazing friends there over the years. Csehy encouraged me immensely throughout my teenage years and has done a great work in shaping me into the person I am today.

At Csehy, I laughed the hardest I ever have in my life at the counselors and staff.

At Csehy I learned that making music is not simply playing notes, but an art that is to be perfected and shaped to the glory of God.

At Csehy I learned great hymns of the faith and sang them until my throat was sore.

At Csehy, I was taught and instructed by impeccable artists who also happened to be committed Christians. Now that’s a rarity!

At Csehy, I witnessed countless kids my age leave their two weeks of camp as completely changed individuals because of the tremendous example of staff and counselors and the work of the Holy Spirit.

Because of Csehy, I found out that my future did not lie in the area of piano performance. For that I am very grateful.

Csehy planted countless seeds in me that continued to bloom throughout the whole of my teen years.

One of my most vivid memories is a piano lesson I had with Ben Harding where he brought in a book of modern art. He started explaining to me the stories behind some of the paintings that, before he explained them to me, seemed like nonsensical shapes and patterns. I think that was the first moment that I really got chills over an art other than music. In that moment I gained respect for art of all kinds and after that, would never look at things the same again. That was my first step in looking closer at God's world.

Even before Summit…

Even before Bryan…

It all started at Csehy, a place that will always hold a place in the very center of my heart. A place I will never ever forget.

PS: This video is also a product of Csehy and the unique breed of people there...

No comments: